Sunday, January 24, 2010

Feeling stuck with ANTIVIRUS??...Updated (2-Feb)



             Yes. I know. This is problem of every 2nd Indian… Most of the people (including my friends) think that they know everything about antivirus and if they’ve registered (WTF??) antivirus then their computer will not be infected. First of all I want to tell you guys… Your pc can be infected anytime. No antivirus product can give you 100% security. There are always some loops holes in engine. Yes. We can minimize risk by taking few steps.
            Ok. Lets move on to the popular and tricky question. Which antivirus is best?? I am gonna discuss a little on this topic. So first of all you have to tell me about your requirement. Because all antivirus softwares has some “distinct” feature. The basic security level is not problem. It is always mentioned by all (almost) multinational security software companies. Second thing the word “antivirus” means security suite in this article. Security suite is a bundle of all security software…like antivirus, antispam, firewall, web protection etc. I’ve compared best three antivirus products here. This comparison is based on my individual experience with some world class articles on security suits and also on some test results which have taken by “Test Systems”, “Malware City”, “AV Comparatives” and “Cascadia Labs”.

  1. Kaspersky Internet Security 2010- Kaspersky Labs has distinguish reputation for security software. Kaspersky 2010 provides excellent security. And its firewall is best of the best in world. I think it is BEST AV software ever. Real time protection of Kaspersky is just awesome. Often Kaspersky is FIRST to identify and eliminate new (unknown) threats because of its huge security network. Still it has some problems like false detections and huge prompts. Also it is best at virus detection but little lazy at warms. But still I recommend you to use Kaspersky if you know about your system and you have 1GB+ RAM. If your pc has some confidential or sensitive data and you don’t want to compromise at security then Kaspersky is the only one. I recommend this software for colleges and offices where environment is hostile. It’s really best AV available in India costing you around 600-700rs I think…


  1. Norton Internet Security 2010- I know we have very negative impression about Norton products. But I want to tell you guys that NEW Norton 2010 is one of the fastest antivirus in world. It is shocking but true. If you want faster pc with good security then go for Norton. Recommended RAM can be 512 or 1 GB. But it has some problem with its real-time protection. But if you want speed then I think you can compromise with Norton. So you can get good security and good speed both. It costs little more than Kaspersky. It costs nearly 1200-1500rs. It is huge amount for me for 1 year. It is good for any type of environment.


  1. Eset Smart Security 4- Ok. This means SPEED and only SPEED. If your most priority is your computer speed then go for ESET. If only you have no any sensitive data on your pc. You will forget that you having any antivirus product. It takes lesser memory so it needs only 256RAM. It is lightest antivirus I’ve found on internet. It costs 1000-1100rs. But I recommend this software for only home use. Because you cannot take a risk of security at work place.

             I often use ESET and Norton because I am always ready to format my pc if anything happens wrong. And I like fast pc. Still I want to tell you that I’ve never found any single virus on my pc while I am using anyone of these three antivirus products. Only thing is you have to update software at lease once in week.

MOST IMPORTANT- I’ve personally tested other products like (legend) Quick Heal, Avast, AVG with its latest versions and latest updates. And I must say that they are little kids in terms of security and speed. You cannot even compare these products with best AV's like Kaspersky or Norton. Quick heal, Panda, F-secure and AVG takes HUGE memory (so they are in my shit-list). I will prefer viruses than installing these products. Also above 3 best AV products are its best when you install it at formatted (clean) pc. (Use pc tweak software like Advanced System Care)

       Also if you dont have the key of above products and want to use free AV then i will say Avira Antivir or Avast is best choice. They give you best protection (real time). You won't get firewall protection in free version but still its fine. Today (2 Feb) i've tested Avast IS v5 (the newest) and i think its fine. It takes (4000k+23000k+18000k) memory which comparatively low. Also it has detected all 38 viruses (including my personal trojan).

Here i've listed Antivirus Products as per their performance (good to bad)
1. Kaspersky IS 2010
2. Norton IS 2010
3. ESET Smart Security v4
4. Bit Defender 2010 (it is also good defiantly recommended)
5. Avira Premium 2010 (good)
6. Avast IS 5 (good)
7. A- Squared Anti Malware v4.5 (detection rate is quite good but takes more memory)
8. AVG IS v9 (more memory)

Above all article is based on my personal opinion and some tests and articles. If you have any problem or query then mail me at war379k@gmail.com